MINISTRY ACTIVITIES & OPERATIONS
- What liability risks should our ministry be aware of when planning on-campus activities for children and/or students?
- What liability risks should our ministry be aware of when planning off-campus activities for children and/or students?
- What is an “Activity Participation Agreement?”
- What should our ministry consider before doing a service project in the community?
- Should our ministry incorporate?
- Does our ministry need bylaws?
- Does our ministry need a mission statement?
- Does our ministry need an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?
- What documents should our ministry keep, and for how long?
- Are deacons, elders, or board members personally liable for decisions made by the governing body?
- If a member of our governing body is found to be involved in immoral or illegal activities, how should we respond?
- What should our ministry consider when merging with another ministry?
- What should our ministry consider when starting another site or church plant?
EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, & INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS
- Do background checks need to be done on all staff members and ministry volunteers?
- How do we handle the information if a background check turns up questionable information or a criminal record?
- What processes should be done before hiring an employee?
- What should be considered before firing an employee?
- Does our ministry’s workers’ compensation policy cover independent contractors?
- What tax liability does our ministry have in relation to independent contractors?
- What do we need to know about hiring youth?
- Does the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) apply to our ministry?
- Do we need an employee handbook?
CONTRACTS, INSURANCE, & TAX
- What do our staff members need to know about contracts?
- How much liability insurance does our ministry need?
- Do we need extra insurance for a construction project?
- Is our ministry tax-exempt?
- What political activity is prohibited by a tax-exempt status?
- How should our ministry respond to requests for support from political candidates and/or political groups?
MEDIA, TECHNOLOGY, & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Does our ministry need to get permission from individuals before using their picture in a ministry publication or website?
- What do our ministry employees need to understand about the use of social media?
- How can we reduce the risk of our ministry computers being used for pornography?
- How can our music and/or media ministries avoid copyright issues?
- What is “Intellectual Property” and what does our ministry need to know about it?
SECURITY, SAFETY, & HEALTH
- What liability does our ministry have if a sudden medical emergency occurs on our property?
- What is an “Incident Report” and when does it need to be used?
- What is a “mandated reporter,” and what does that mean for our ministry?
- What precautions do our preschool and children’s leaders need to take in regard to serious allergies?
- What if children involved in our ministry have not received standard childhood immunizations?
- What is the “Good Samaritan” law and does it apply to individuals in our ministry?
- Should we allow a registered sex offender to attend our worship service?
- What does our ministry need to consider about using armed security personnel?
- Should we have security cameras and how should the information from those cameras be used?
- How should we deal with a disruptive person in a worship service or activity?
- How should our ministry prepare for potential violence?
- How should we respond to a demonstration on our property?
- How should we respond if reporters come to our worship service or ask one of our employees for an interview?
- What kind of disaster response plan do we need in case of a natural disaster when people are gathered for a service or ministry event?
FACILITIES & GROUNDS
- What does our ministry need to do to be “handicapped accessible?”
- What risks does our ministry assume when loaning our facility to an outside group?
- What doors need to be locked and/or unlocked when people are on campus?
- What types of signs should be posted in our buildings and on our grounds?